fishing

Discussion about anything having to do with Canada Lake. Anyone can post in this public forum.

Moderators: Tony, Samiam, DSturchio

fishing

Postby matthewwood23 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:44 pm

any body have any tips for fishing this lake.
matthewwood23
Noobie

FISHING

Postby MOUNTAIN MAN » Fri May 05, 2006 11:52 am

Canada Lake is an easy lake to fish for warm water species, i.e., bass, pickerel, panfish, etc. Just fish the shallows in the morning and evenings with any top water lures and/or live bait. The lake holds some large bass, especially smallmouth bass. The State has also been stocking Canada Lake aggressively with Lake Trout, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout. You will have to fish very deep water, about 80 to 100 feet in the summer for the lakers and unless you are equipped to down-rig, you might have some trouble locating them. Around the island is deep water where you will find the lakers. I have had luck catching the trout in various tributaries around the lake in fall and summer when these fish spawn. In the late evening before dark you can catch trout on the surface. Just wait for fish to rise on the surface and cast a rooster tail or similar spinner in that area. I have done fairly well in that area as well.
MOUNTAIN MAN

FISHING

Postby BRAD DAKE » Tue May 23, 2006 2:41 pm

I caught a 12 inch trouser trout in the lake last April. It took both hands to land that one and was well worth the effort.
BRAD DAKE

Fishing

Postby T-Bagg » Tue May 23, 2006 2:51 pm

I usually have good succes chumming for poon fish after ice out.
T-Bagg

FISHING CANADA LAKE

Postby WAYNE TERWILLIGER » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:14 am

Okay, here is the deal. If you really want to have success catching big trout in Canada Lake, there is only one bait to get and this stuff is no joke. You have to get "Uncle Peety's Gunt Bait." This stuff is so good I can't even believe it and I have been trout fishing for nearly 30 years. What you want to do is anchor near the island. It is deep here so get about 200 feet of rope or thick twine. Hook up a line with about 5 or 6 trebble hooks and put a bobber on. You want the hooks to be about 38-45 feet down. Cover the tip of each hook with a smidge of Gunt Bait after carefully molding it. Make sure to wear rubber gloves and a good respirator because the Gunt Bait can eat a hole through the bottom of your boat if you aren't careful. Once you lower your hooks down, start jigging in a violent manner for about 3-19 minutes. After that, stop jigging. If nothing bites after about 3 minutes, begin to troll at 6 MPH. The Gunt Bait has the same effect as chumming with blood for a Great White Shark, so the more water you cover the better. I guarantee you will catch many large trout with this stuff, it's that good. The Gunt Bait is not easy to find because it's becoming very popular, especially in the Northwest and Yukon Territories of Canada. I believe Dave Oathout sells it for quite a deal, especially if you purchase an entire case of his deer urine. Good Luck!
WAYNE TERWILLIGER

Postby T-Bagg » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:29 am

I'm with Twiggy all the way on this one, he knows his stuff!! I fished with him a couple times and we used the gunt bait with great success!! We hit a large school of jacknut that just wouldn't quit! Aside from the rashes, it was probably the best fishing I ever experienced.
T-Bagg

GUNT BAIT???

Postby MOUNTAIN MAN » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Been fishing all my life and never ever heard of Gunt Bait. The technique described sounds quite disturbing to be perfectly honest. What is it radioactive or something? I think I'll stick to my traditional methods.
MOUNTAIN MAN

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:01 pm

T-Bagg and Brad Dake

Are you really gonna make me go though the trouble of banning IP's? Go find a bigger site to troll.
Your friendly local admin.
Tony
Admin

Postby Lone Star » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:55 pm

either wayne trying to be funny else he don't no how to use the gunt bait Your guys lake is gonna be poisined if he fish with somthing toxic and gunt aint toxic Thats not what gunt bait is anyhow. I used to could use the gunt, but we call it fupa fishin and my freind over Meco way call it juku jiggin. I dont no what the gunt made of but it look like chopped up mongoose stomach and it dont smell too good neither. you dont need to where gloves but you might better wash your hands after cuz it smell somthign fearce it works good like a can of dogfood or chili but you cant use the rope or the deep lines. we used it in caroga lake and caught us some lakers and it aint toxic neither Wayne might better get his fact strate before he goes and says thigns like this. I seen fake gunt selling at walmarts but I dont think it work. If Dave Oathout is selling the stuff I dont know but Buck might have it in caroga lake next to the Laker. it work good for walleye and golden chub too if kids want to fish I aint seen Uncle Peety bait before niether
Lone Star

Gunt Bait

Postby Mal Drone » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:03 pm

A little of topic but have any of you used the gunt bait to ward of black flies? Rather than using the mosquito nets, i've found that coating myself in a pungent layer of gunt bait works great. Smells like one of the bartlett boys but definately does the trick. The swisher sweets work great too but i damn near set myself on fire with all the gunt. They don't tell you on the tub that the gunt bait is flammable.
Mal Drone

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:27 am

T-Bagg and Brad Dake

Are you really gonna make me go though the trouble of banning IP's? Go find a bigger site to troll.

Im not here to cause any trouble. I dont know about Mr Drake but Ive been fishing these lakes and ponds for many years and Im willing to share some of the tricks Ive learned. The only trolling I know is on the water. Im sorry but I dont know about any IP stuff. Tight lines.

Postby Gordon24 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:20 pm

IF YOU CATCH WANT FISH GO SEE BUCK IN CAROGA LAKE HE WILL FIX YOU UP WITH BATE
Gordon24

new group

Postby Slappy in Wilton » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:46 am

Hey, if y'all haven't joined, take a look at the Federated Union of Professional Anglers- http://www.fupa.org

They offer great discounts on gear, and one hell of a national convention in Vegas every year. Last year I got so hammered I didn't even notice the adams apple on the bar hag I grabbed in the Sands lounge.. Imagine my surprise when "she" dropped trou....... :oops:
Slappy in Wilton

Postby Tony » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:58 am

Gordon24 wrote:IF YOU CATCH WANT FISH GO SEE BUCK IN CAROGA LAKE HE WILL FIX YOU UP WITH BATE

If you havnt heard, Im pretty sure buck passed...
Your friendly local admin.
Tony
Admin

FISH

Postby GENNYPOUNDER » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:44 pm

HEY ME AND DUKE CAUGHT A BIG ONE LAST SUMMER. WE WAS FISHING FOR LAKERS BUT HOOKED INTO A CATFISH. WE WAS SURPRISED BECAUSE WE WAS USING A RED TIPPED SPOONJAB FOR BAIT WITH A PORK RIND TRAILER. STILL CAN'T FIND THE GUNT BAIT YOU SPEAK OF.
GENNYPOUNDER
Noobie

FISHING

Postby GENNYPOUNDER » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:57 pm

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT SPLAKE IN CANADA LAKE? I HEARD CAROGA GOT SOME BUT NOT CANADA LAKE AND CANADA LAKE DEEP AND GOOD FOR TROUT FISH. I ALSO WANT TIPS FOR CATCHING LAKERS BECAUSE FISHED ALL LAST YEAR AND ONLY GOT ONE NEAR ISLAND. LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN. ALL RIGHT, GOTTA GO AND TAKE A ****.
GENNYPOUNDER
Noobie

Return to General Discussion